Teacher's Handbook and other resources
A Teacher's Handbook, including video training materials, example teaching materials and assessment tools, is available to support the use of the Reading and Language Intervention for Children with Down Syndrome (RLI).
To support the use of RLI with children with Down syndrome, DSE has published a Teacher's Handbook. The handbook is accompanied by online resources, including video clips illustrating the activities, assessment and record keeping forms, and example teaching materials.
The handbook provides the information and guidance needed to implement the intervention. It also includes example language teaching session plans and materials, and resources and assessment tools. Additional teaching materials will also be required (e.g. early reading books) many of which will be readily available in most classrooms.
The handbook is printed in full colour with clearly identified sections and wiro-bound for regular use and easy reference.
The contents of the handbook include:
Introducing the reading and language intervention
- The reading and language intervention
- Getting started
About Down syndrome
- About Down syndrome
- Language and reading development
- Initial reading skills assessment
- Running records
- Book grading and selection
- Teaching book reading
- Teaching sight word reading
- Teaching letters, sounds and phonology
- Teaching beginning readers
The language strand
- Introducing the language strand
- Planning your own language teaching sessions
- Teaching vocabulary
- Teaching expressive language
Planning, assessments and record keeping
- Planning, assessments and record keeping
- General teaching guidelines
- Home and school collaboration
The evaluation study
- Evaluating the intervention
- Feedback from teaching assistants and parents
References and glossary
How to buy
The handbook is available direct from DSE via our online store.