New Windows editions of See and Learn Speech apps are now available.
Our See and Learn Speech apps are now available for Windows tablets and PCs. See and Learn Speech is an evidence-based program designed to help children with Down syndrome develop spoken language skills and clearer speech.
The first five steps in DSE's See and Learn Speech program are now available as apps for tablets, desktops and PCs running Windows 10 [ 1 ] - in addition to the apps already available for Apple iPads. [ 2 ]
See and Learn Speech is designed to teach children with Down syndrome to hear and produce speech sounds (phonemes), to hear the differences between sounds (discrimination), to develop their speech sound system (phonology), and to produce clear speech. It can also help children to identify sounds in words (phonological awareness) which is important for reading.
Carefully structured, evidence-based activities
See and Learn Speech offers a structured approach to support speech development, working in small steps towards clearer speech production and practicing skills including:
- becoming familiar with speech sounds - storing sounds in the memory system
- discriminating between speech sounds - hearing the differences between sounds
- producing speech sounds - individual sounds and simple combinations
- saying words - saying words that begin with a particular sound
See and Learn apps offer an engaging and motivating way to present teaching activities. Computer devices offer a flexible platform for presenting information clearly, responding to a child's actions, rewarding success and tracking progress.
Our apps are designed to present visual and auditory information clearly and without unnecessary distractions, and to support learning in small steps with regular practice.
Our See and Learn apps include the same activities, detailed guides and record forms as our printed kits, offering a convenient, effective and lower-cost alternative.
More new apps coming soon
In addition to these See and Learn Speech apps for Windows tablets and PCs, we expect to release the first six steps in our See and Learn Language and Reading program for Windows tablets and PCs in the next few weeks.
We also expect to release of the See and Learn Speech apps and all of the See and Learn Language and Reading apps for Android tablets in the next 6 weeks. [ 3 ]
How to buy
Windows editions of See and Learn apps are available from the Microsoft Store:
- See and Learn Speech Sounds
- See and Learn Combining Sounds
- See and Learn Saying Words 1
- See and Learn Saying Words 2
- See and Learn Saying Words 3
- Our See and Learn Windows apps are available for tablets, desktops and PCs running Windows 10 November 2019 Update (version 1909 and higher).
- Our See and Learn iPadOS apps are available for iPads running iPadOS version 13.1 or later.
- Our See and Learn Android apps are available for Android tablets running Android version 5.1 and higher and with a smallest screen width of 520 device pixels. In general, this includes Android tablets with physical screen sizes of 7" and higher.